Monday, June 23, 2014

More Than a Mantra ~ All Praise to You Lord God

Ludwig Bemelman's Madeline ~ photo courtesy of Google

My girls and I were big fans of Madeline  , the precocious and charmingly impetuous star of Ludwig Bemelman’s books.  Madeline isn’t afraid of anything and in the movie version her mantra is

“I can do anything.”

(Click on the caption above to watch one of our favorite Madeline stories.)
Her mantra has always reminded me of the following scripture verse:

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

The truth of Philippians 4:13 is more than a mantra, more than a “positive declaration”.

It is true that some of us see ourselves so highly that the attitude “I can do anything” lurks just beneath the surface. Most of us are guilty to some extent in some areas of an attitude of superiority. But then again, there is the other extreme.  “I can’t do anything.”  “I can’t get anything right.” Divorce, illnesses, financial difficulties—lots of situations can chip away at self-confidence.

The truth of the matter is wellness resides in the truth of who I am in Christ Jesus.

Based on God’s truth, based on who I am in Him, I can be secure in His promise, that I can do anything that’s in His will for me to do… if I cooperate with Him.

Consider Peter who walked on the water to Jesus.

Peter said to Him, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the
water.” And He (Jesus) said, “Come!” And Peter got out of the boat, and
walked on the water and came toward Jesus. Matthew 14:28-29

When Peter kept his eyes on Jesus, he walked on the water.  It was when he looked at the conditions around him that he became afraid and began to sink. I like the fact that those on the boat worshipped Jesus after they saw what had happened.  They didn’t run to Peter to applaud him for his great feat.

We need to praise God for all our talents and gifts and consecrate them to the service of Him who gave them.

I love King David’s words after his successful fund-raiser for building the great Temple. Was David all puffed up with pride by his success?  Not at all.  Here is his prayer:

So David blessed the LORD in the sight of all the assembly; and David said,
“Blessed are You, O LORD God of Israel our father, forever and ever.
“Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the
victory and the majesty, indeed everything that is in the heavens and the
earth; Yours is the dominion, O LORD, and You exalt Yourself as head over
all. “Both riches and honor come from You, and You rule over all, and in
Your hand is power and might; and it lies in Your hand to make great and
to strengthen everyone. “Now therefore, our God, we thank You, and
praise Your glorious name. 1 Chronicles 29:10-13

Can I get an “Amen ”?

This beautiful photo of Virginia Beach is courtesy of Eileen DeCamp
I'm honored you took some of your time to visit Write Moments with God.  I hope you have a glorious day.  All thanks and praise be to God.

2 comments:

  1. I wrote a blog post--to be posted soon--that is about five verses, one of them Philippians 4:13. How fun to see what you did with it! I've never read a Madeline book. It looks like I should! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be sure to read your post. You know the Scriptures so well. Yes, read a Madeline book. They are fun. Click on the link and watch the little cartoon version of the most popular one. :-)

    ReplyDelete