Monday, November 10, 2014

Our Fallen Nature Obliges Us to Seek Him Moment by Moment

Photo of raging river courtesy of Google Images
Those of steadfast mind you keep in peace—in peace because they trust in you. Isaiah26:3 NRSV

Following my devotions, I praised God for the beautiful day. After my time of meditating on Him, Scripture reading, and prayer, I was in a happy mood. As I sipped my coffee, I enjoyed the view from my window—golden leaves fluttered on the dogwood tree with the morning sun shining through. I enjoyed peace.

The first thing on my to-do list was to choose my insurance plan for the year during annual open enrollment. I sat down before the computer by the sunny window expecting to complete my task within a few minutes. I signed onto the website and filled in my personal information. But, to my dismay, when I got to the screen where I should have been able to make my selection, the screen was grayed out, and NO Coverage was already selected for me. I couldn't advance or go backwards. I had to call the 1-800 number for help.

So, with that I began a series of back-to-back calls to my insurance provider until I finally got an open line, and then I held for over an hour before a live person spoke to me. During the 2 ½ hour process (by the end of which all was resolved), I had time to analyze what was happening to my peaceful happy mood.

Even though my lovely view from the window had not changed, and God was still God, my focus shifted. As I held the phone, minute by dreary minute, unpleasant changes were taking place in my body, and my thoughts were scampering about like the squirrels in the tree.

My heart rate rose.  Tension across my forehead warned that my blood pressure had also risen. My shoulder ached, and my neck got stiff. I felt aggravated and anxious; all because my focus shifted from God to an unexpected “glitch”.

Allow me to echo the Apostle Paul:

Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? (Romans 7:24)

I think it must be part of our fallen human condition and this earthly piligrimage to suffer these moods and changing feelings so easily swayed by circumstances and situations beyond our control. Wouldn’t it be grand if we Christians could rest in perfect and permanent peace all the time?  Living constantly in conformity to our faith in Him?  We have hope. 

Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Rom. 7:25)

Daily, moment by moment, as we seek His grace (through prayer and reflection, Scripture reading and practicing godly virtues), we can experience His perfect peace in the midst of the realities of life. With our focus on Him, His peace will be like stepping stones in the raging river of life.

For he is our peace…Ephesians 2:14a

And with our mind stayed on Him, He will lead us to our eternal home, where all will be peace and light.

Daily, let us pray, Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Matthew 6:10b

Sunset at Beaver Creek Reservoir ~ photo courtesy of the talented Eileen DeCamp

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit Write Moments with God.  Some of you will remember this story from last November.  It's so reflective of how we are, I thought I'd write about it again. 

May you experience His peace today.

Now, to announce the winner of my monthly book giveaway.  Norma Gail and I thank all of you who commented.

Caroline Brown is the winner by random drawing of Norma Gail's compelling debut novel, Land of My Dreams.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rose! Thanks for this today…I really needed it! Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it encouraged you. You are not alone. Even our Lord Jesus, was touched just like we are. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an encouraging post. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you took the time to visit. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful reminder of where our focus should be! I plan to revisit this post when I forget. Thank you, Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, thank you for writing that! I appreciate your encouragement. Always.

    ReplyDelete